Westport has several neighborhood associations that have historically protected their areas from development adversely impacting neighborhood character. But except for the ongoing work of Save Old Saugatuck on Hiawatha Lane and Davenport Avenue, Saugatuck has yet to form such a coalition for the entire neighborhood. With so many changes pending for the area, we wanted to create a forum for residents to express their views and organize as a group to help shape our neighborhood's future—something that goes well beyond pro forma community engagement of the kind found in this Saugatuck master plan survey. Saugatuck Neighbors hopes to do just that.
- Protect the unique character of our neighborhood
- Engage a wide swath of Saugatuck residents, young and old, new and longstanding.
- Create constructive dialog with town planning and zoning officials, property owners, landlords, and developers.
- Unite in opposition to unwanted development.
- Promote livability, walkability, and public safety.
- Support and encourage locally-owned businesses
- Get to know each other better as neighbors—and have fun!